Don’t judge a packet by it’s size. Chia seeds are small but mighty. They are one of the best super foods in the market. These seeds are well known for their nutritional benefits and thus widely appreciated and consumed by people. They are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and contain minerals which helps in improving your bone health. Additionally, these black seeds contain magnesium and phosphorous which is required for your body. Chia seeds are known to have as many antioxidants as blueberries. They are gluten free and have been consumed since ages as an egg substitute.
Chia seeds are also known as a weight loss food. As per the study author Dr. Rebecca Rawl from Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C. “Chia seeds have the ability to absorb up to 27 times their weight in water”. They are known to be one of the healthiest foods which when consumed helps you to lose good amount of weight. They are known to lower cholesterol and thus protect your heart in the long run.
“Chia” means strength and the best part about chia seeds is that they have very strong smell or taste and thus if you don’t like to consume them directly, then you can combine them with other foods as well.
So, let’s see how you can combine this superfood to shed some weight –
- 1. Consume daily – you can consume 2-4 tablespoon of chia seeds every day. This you can consume first thing in the morning. But don’t consume more as it can cause serious health issues. Chia seeds are rich in fiber and when fiber is consumed in excessive quantity then it can cause digestive issues. Excess fiber intake can cause bloating, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation and likewise. As per health expert, Rawl “Chia seeds when used properly are completely safe to be consumed”. The bottom line of using chia seeds is that you must consume them with lots of water. This will provide them with enough space to expand and thus they are safe to be consumed. In any case don’t forget to check with your doctor in case of any health concerns.
- 2. Chia Seed Juice – make a smoothie out of banana (half large banana), chia seeds (2 teaspoon), milk, blueberries (2 cup frozen) and Greek yogurt(5.3 oz). This is not only tasty but healthy as well. You can consume it in morning with your breakfast.
- 3. Chia Puddings – Here you need to combine chia seeds (Half cup), full fat milk (1.5 cup), honey, vanilla extract (1 tbsp) and nutmeg powder (1 tbsp). You need to blend all this together and finally refrigerate it for a good 4-5 hours and you are all set.
- 4. Chia Seeds Iced Tea – begin by soaking the chia seeds in water. Make green tea and the strain the tea into a glass. Refrigerate the green tea and then add lime juice, brown sugar, chia seeds, ice cubes and lime slices for decoration.
- 5. Chia Water – one of the simplest way to consume chia seeds is by consuming chia water. Soak 40 grams of chia seeds in 1 litre of water for 20-30 minutes. You can add some flavor to this water by squeezing some lemon juice to it.
- 6. Chia Cereal
- Swap your breakfast with extremely nutritious chia cereal. Soak the seeds overnight in a glass of milk and in the morning top it with nuts or fruits of your choice.
- 7. Stir Fry
- Why not stir fry chia seeds on a pan with very little or at least no oil. This stir fry chia seeds can be consumed when you are on a go.
- 8. Add it to the Salad
- How about adding some chia seeds at the top of your salad. This are perfect to be consumed when you are on a go and will be such a healthy addition to your salad.
- 9. Bake with bread
- How about baking some chia seeds with your bread. Layer handful of chia seeds with your bread and roast them together.
- 10. Crispy coating
- How about making a crispy coating to your meat or fish. Make a very fine powder of chia seeds and then coat it just like you coat bread crumbs around the meat or fish.